Things have been really busy lately…this week I feel like I haven’t stopped. That is until now. Sitting in the airport, waiting to board my plane to Baltimore for a weekend visiting Kelli. I think we started to plan this trip back in March when we found out the Patriots were playing in Baltimore on Monday night. We had intentions of going to the game, but at this point we’re spending our money on food this weekend and can just watch the game from a bar, or Kelli’s place. I love flying so I’m pretty anxious to get on the plane and get to DC!
Yesterday was a pretty busy day as I spent most of the morning working in the kitchen with an Italian chef. I had mentioned to him that I know pasta is something really easy to make, but was something I had never made before. So I got the invite to work with him. There are many ways to make pasta but we used semolina flour and egg yolks…lots of egg yolks! It was cool because we made the big batch of dough and let that rest while we took out some dough that had already been resting. It was kind of like being on a Foodnetwork show because you prepare something and then all of sudden, the next step is ready to work with! So we made some spaghetti, linguini, fettucini, and one other that I can’t remember??? But then I also got to make some ravioli, tortelli (big tortellini), and pope’s hats. We weren’t sure if they were named that because of someone attempting to make tortelli and messing up, but that’s basically what happened. We tried to make tortelli and ended up with a filled pasta that would have fit perfectly on Pope John Paul’s head! Then he told me that’s really the name of the pasta. After that we brought in Hector, the pasta-making pro of the restaurant and he showed us how to make the real tortelli. And after that….I got to eat it! Chef had to get to work on the lunch crowd, but it was cool feeling like a VIP.
Speaking of feeling like a VIP…my brother in law came down for dinner last night and we went to one of my seafood restaurants in Kenmore Square. We definitely were treated like VIPs there. I had made a reservation for us to sit at a table in the lounge but we ended up sitting on the island. The island is an extension of their bar where they prepare a lot of their sashimi and other raw fish bites. Since I’m in the airport and I don’t have the menu I’ll do my best to talk about everything we had. They started us with some raw salmon with an avocado puree, fried quail egg, and some kind of roe (aka caviar). Then I think we had some of the tuna tartare. I can’t remember what order everything came in… That was delicious and was served on some fried tempura. Then our appetizer came. It was red wine and star anise braised octopus. It was a really cool dish and the octopi were served on pieces of toast with green beans and some other sauce. Then they sent us some foie gras on a piece of spiced bread with candied apple chunks on top. This was of course, one of my favorite tastings of the night…it was great! Next, I think was when the scallop came and I’m gonna be honest and say I’m not sure what else was with it besides the anchovy? I’m really not a big fan of anchovies so I had a bite of it but left most of it on the plate. After this we got to try the halibut tacos with a black bean sauce. Another tasty treat. Kevin, the island chef was really hooking us up! Finally our entrees made it to us. Mark had the monkfish with shortribs, dates, and a dried porcini. That was all on a bed of orzo. I had the sole that came with carmelized cauliflower and a truffled hollandaise sauce…yet again…very tasty!
Oh I forgot to talk about our beverages! Silly me. I had a “slippery mermaid.” It’s the restaurant’s take on the sangria of the season and was delicious. I think now that I’ve become more of a red wine drinker, I’m more fond of sangria…and this has been my favorite so far! I forget what Mark’s drink was first but his next drink he had to get just for the name…”Dr. Huxtable’s Ugly Sweater.” Hahaha how funny is that? Not only do I love the name of the drink…I got a taste and it was great! I told the chef today that I’m going back there for that…and, errr, the food!
Speaking of food…I have to mention dessert. Oh yeah, we had that too! Mark had a gingerbread cake with Maker’s Mark ice cream. I had a hazelnut financier with chocolate ice cream, chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, and candied nuts. Yummmmmmmm
I think it’s pretty obvious we both left satisfied and full! The setting there was great and completely different than I had seen or thought it would be. Whenever I’m there it’s during the day and super bright, but when you factor in all the lighting they do at night, it makes for a real treat. A treat I’ll definitely be back for!
Ok, just about time to board the plane. Kelli and I have three reservations for dinner tomorrow night! We have a warehouse in DC and I spoke with Matias who is going to show us around the restaurant scene. I’m sure I’ll have some stories to write about when I get back. I hope everyone enjoys their weekends.
Chow,
KK
No comments:
Post a Comment