Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

I can't believe I'm saying that already! This morning Kristen and I woke up to a nice snowfall outside. For the first morning in a while, we spoke when we got up. Well, I was up about 2 hours before her so my coffee had already kicked in. I seriously can't believe how much I need it in the morning now??? But we had a conversation last night about how cool our office is...most people we know want to work at home with us! And since it was snowing today...we had no choice but to go for a walk during lunch and pop in a few Christmas movies! I had to laugh when one chef asked if I was ready for Thanksgiving or if I was a Grinch....while Jim Carrey was on the tv!

Speaking of Kristen...I finally got to take her and Juliana out to dinner last week for helping me with deliveries a few weeks ago. We went to one of my accounts that I knew was really expensive and I probably wouldn't go to if work wasn't paying. The chef knew I was bringing them in so after ordering we had rock shrimp with potato salad over a beet puree sent to us "compliments of the chef." And after that was sent we also received Ahi tuna sashimi over a tempura battered piece of tofu, all over an avocado puree...this was our absolut favorite. Well, at least me and Kristen because we love sashimi!

Ok, so then we got our first course. Juliana ordered the pumpkin soup. This was the cutest presentation. They brought her the bowl with something hard in it (I couldn't tell what it was), and marshmallows. Then they poured the soup out of a tea kettle into the bowl. It was great! Kristen ordered the homemade gnocchi which came with pecorino cheese, radishes, and bacon. I got to try both of these and they were very tasty! We were all pleased. As for my first course....if all I had in life was my family and friends and this dish, I'd be the happiest person on earth! I'd still be the happiest with my family and friends but I don't want to gag you with sappy stuff. So I ordered the daily foie gras. It came on top of a cinnamon roll with a fig reduction, zucchini, and baked olives. Seriously, no seriously...I absolutely loved it! And I didn't think Juliana would try it because she doesn't like the thought of foie gras, but she did...and Kristen tried and and I think they both enjoyed it. Maybe not as much as me, but it sure was delicious!

After all that food we got another dish "compliments of the chef." Mediterranean sea bass (not a$$) with fingerling potatoes and fennel. There were also chopped beets on top which were very crispy. This was actually a prety big portion too because there were 3 pieces of the fish on each of our plates. You think we'd be full by now right??? Keep reading...

Our main courses finally came. Ok, first I'll talk about my dish...I ordered the salmon which came with brussel sprouts and guianciale. I love, love, love brussel sprouts now so those were great. The salmon was great and the guianciale tastes like bacon so you decide? That's the pig cheek I wrote about before...Kristen asked which cheek it was from....I'm pretty sure it's the mouth???? I'll have to get back to you...

Kristen had the seared scallops that came with cauliflower and squash. Her exact comment (I know because I took notes on my blackberry) was "I like all that this is dipped in." It was good. We were both satisfied with our meals, however Juliana's won by a landslide! She had the ribeye atop a mound of carrots and green beans surrounded by a ring of mashed potatoes and some seriously delicious sauce. Kristen and I probably had about half of our own meals and split the rest of Juliana's. It was soooo good and I must recommend this to everyone! Call me for directions and reservations.

So after dinner, a bottle of wine, and a single glass of wine...we ordered our cordials. Well...Juliana drove so Kristen had a glass of Frangelico and I had a glass of grappa. Yikes! It was strong stuff...as always. Then Kristen came out with the true reason why she enjoys Frangelico so much...."It just looks like someone who will cook you breakfast." I'd be careful if you're around her and you're dressed like Mrs. Butterworth or Aunt Jemima! After that we received the pastry chef's compliments...hazelnut cake pieces filled with caramel, dark chocolate truffles, and shortbread cookies with mascarpone and a raspberry on top. There were 3 pieces each so it was just enough for each of us to enjoy a tasty little morsel!

We finally left after that and didn't eat anymore! We were so full and satisfied. The meal was outstanding, the service was great, and the conversation between friends was wonderful. It couldn't have been any better! I did submit my receipt online yesterday and not even 2 minutes after, my boss called me. I was a little concerned as the bill was just under $400! But apparently that's normal for a nice dinner and he just wanted me to know it was ok'd! Thank goodness!

Ok, I hope I didn't bore you with too much food talk. This was one of the best dinners of my life and I really hope everyone enjoys something as good as this at some point! I'll leave you with some more photos from Upside Down Turkey Day. Enjoy and I wish everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving!



Chow,
KK :-)

No comments: