Friday, January 11, 2008

***Consuming raw or undercooked meats, poultry, fish, shellfish, or eggs may increase your risk of foodbourne illness.

Ummmmmm yeah. About that warning you always see at the bottom of menus. I'm not sure what made me sick, but let's just say Wednesday night was not a good night for Karen! I was sad too, because I missed volleyball because of it and had to cancel all my appointments on Thursday.

This week was booked with lots of stuff to do. Monday I was in New York for another sales meeting. It was a long day, but pretty productive and nice to see co-workers. Each time I'm getting to know other people a little more. It's nice to feel like there are other people in my company! No real interesting food to talk about though. Well, I did get to bring some Carica home. It's a Chilean fruit that's sweet, but looks like a yellow bell pepper. It's very yummy and I kind of don't want to share with chefs! But I will of course.

Tuesday the Vice President of business development was back in Boston and we hit up several accounts. Business as usual with him. No lunch breaks and go, go, go! It's actually kind of cool and gets me more excited to keep growing the business on my own. After we were done working we went to one place for some drinks and snacks. Nothing like steak tartare, a charcuterie plate, and pork belly for snacks! We also had to taste the butter and analyze their rolls. Those are a few items they don't buy from me, so I need to be able to say how mine are better. Now, as for the tartare...because this is where I think there may have been an issue??? I love steak tartare and I'm not sure if the ones I've had in the past have raw egg in them, but I know at this place they do add it. Just to keep the raw beef together! I know, it sounds crazy, but at most places this isn't an issue. It just tastes good on a little crostini so I ate it. Then we went to another potential account, who is know an official account (yay!) and I had some prune stuffed gnocchi with seared foie gras on top. We also had some Nantucket Bay scallops which are very sweet and delicious. Then we called it a night.

That brings me to Thursday. I woke up not feeling so hot. Didn't eat much for breakfast which is very uncommon for me. Told Mr. VP that I didn't feel so great when I met him at his hotel and after convincing him I wasn't pregnant, we hit the road again! There's this one, really big account I'm trying to start buying from us. However, this chef is hard to get in touch with...so we just went there. I gave Mr. VP the background and he was happy we were going to walk in. Well...that is until we got there. TV cameras everywhere! I would have loved for it to be my big break, but I really wasn't feeling so hot so I wasn't prepared for television. After fighting the crowds and getting to the desk, we noticed security and police, and more tv crews everywhere. I asked to go where I needed to, but since that's where Barack Obama's lunch/rally was being held....we weren't allowed in. Bad timing on my part! Who was I to know???

We finished up our day and I headed home to sadly, get sick for about 6 hours straight! It was rough, but I'm better now. I couldn't eat and I couldn't even watch the Food Network. I was sad...and I didn't know what else was on tv? So anyway, that's over and I'm almost back to normal.

I'm off to hang out with some chefs now...always learning from them...and they keep me up to date on new places opening up. I get to have brunch with my cousin Amander this Sunday and I just can't decide where to go. I'll be sure to update though! I hope everyone has a great weekend...and Go Pats!

Chow,

KK :-)

No comments: