Happy November! Uh, I'm supposed to have a baby this month - whoa! Crazy how time flies. I've had a super productive week so I'm starting to feel a little better about being ready. Although as every other girl that's pregnant, one of the things on my mind lately is just hoping and praying that I'll be a good parent. I know a lot of it comes naturally with instincts, but I have a great partner and I'm excited to take on the challenge. And I have two great parents who I should thank for setting good examples (and putting up with me) all these years.
The "Nesting" phase has truly kicked in - I organized 2 closets last weekend and we're slowly getting through boxes in our basement. I have found some of the funniest things from my past and have realized how much journaling is important to me. There are so many things I would never remember had I not found the journal of our trip to Disney, the story of "How I Became Educated", and things like pictures I drew back in Kindergarten! This past weekend me and my sister were talking about our trip to Washington, DC. I had more details in my memory and she said she really just remembers going and a few things from the trip. Well, lucky enough for me...as I was looking for the family tree I made (Mom, I need to fact check a few things with you) I found the journal I kept from that trip! What timing, huh? It was in the Spring of 1992, which is a good thing because on a piece of homework from the Spring of 1991, apparently I suffered from headaches, dry mouth, and a sore back??? What the....???
May 9, 1992
"We started the trip at 6:30am. We arrived in Washington, DC at 5:00pm. We went through 7 different states that took us all day to go through. Some things we saw were the Empire State Building, George Washington Bridge, Delaware Bridge, Hudson River, Potomic River, and the Baltimore Tunnel. I couldn't see it, but everyone else saw the Statue of Liberty. In Washington we saw the Marine Monument, Changing of the Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, and Kennedy's Grave. The Marine Monument has someone from Manchester, NH. If you drop a penny from the top of the Empire State Building and it hits someone in the head they will die. I saw Trump Tower and Manhattan."
- I'm pretty sure Dad was the one that gave me all the facts of things we saw and that my sister gave me the tip about the penny :-) I'm gonna have to paraphrase the rest of this...
May 10, 1992
"Today we started the day at 8:30am. We went to the Washington Monument and all the way to the top. The elevator used to be steam powered and took 20mins to get there. Now that we have electricity it only takes 70 seconds. There are 897 stairs and it would take 1.5 hours to climb them. The tip is made of 100 ounces of aluminum. Then we went to the Lincoln Memorial, the Vietnam Memorial, The White House (no tour), and then the Capitol Building. There we saw the House of Representatives, the Senate, and the original Supreme Court. Then we went to an Armed Forces Day at Fort Belvoir."
May 11, 1992
"Today we started at 9:00am and we went to the "Mint" and I saw 5 million dollars. Then the Air and Space Museum. I saw the first plane Orville and Wilbur Wright invented. Then we went to the National Zoo and saw the only 2 pandas in the US. Then we went to the Mall and also to Ford's Theater and I saw where President Lincoln was shot."
May 12, 1992
"Today we started at 10:00am (sounds like we were getting tired). We went to Mount Vernon where the Washington Mansion is. I saw the exact bed that George Washington died in. I saw the whole mansion. After that, we went to his tomb. It is made of brick and has him and his wife in there, and there is a door behind them where 25 other family members are buried. General Washington had 314 slaves and treated them well. He owned 8,000 acres of land. The back porch of his yard has a great view of the Potomic. About 100 people could stay in his mansion and there were always visitors. Then we headed to Williamsburg, Virginia which was a 3 hour trip. We stayed in a Suite!"
Maybe it's not so cool to others but I love having this stuff. Thanks to my Mom and Dad for taking us to such great places! I hope I can do the same with my kids. And I hope they journal it so they have all these memories too. I didn't mention in the journal how a bird crapped on me at the National Zoo, but I did write another story about that and yes I have that too.
I think all in all, I'll be ok as a parent. I was confident back in 1992, that I would someday open my own daycare and that the kids under my supervision would have the best care. "I know what they need because I was a little kid before." If I knew it then, I should be fine now! :-)
Hope you enjoyed your history lesson for the day. Now I gotta get back to work!
Chow,
KK +1 :-)
The "Nesting" phase has truly kicked in - I organized 2 closets last weekend and we're slowly getting through boxes in our basement. I have found some of the funniest things from my past and have realized how much journaling is important to me. There are so many things I would never remember had I not found the journal of our trip to Disney, the story of "How I Became Educated", and things like pictures I drew back in Kindergarten! This past weekend me and my sister were talking about our trip to Washington, DC. I had more details in my memory and she said she really just remembers going and a few things from the trip. Well, lucky enough for me...as I was looking for the family tree I made (Mom, I need to fact check a few things with you) I found the journal I kept from that trip! What timing, huh? It was in the Spring of 1992, which is a good thing because on a piece of homework from the Spring of 1991, apparently I suffered from headaches, dry mouth, and a sore back??? What the....???
May 9, 1992
"We started the trip at 6:30am. We arrived in Washington, DC at 5:00pm. We went through 7 different states that took us all day to go through. Some things we saw were the Empire State Building, George Washington Bridge, Delaware Bridge, Hudson River, Potomic River, and the Baltimore Tunnel. I couldn't see it, but everyone else saw the Statue of Liberty. In Washington we saw the Marine Monument, Changing of the Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, and Kennedy's Grave. The Marine Monument has someone from Manchester, NH. If you drop a penny from the top of the Empire State Building and it hits someone in the head they will die. I saw Trump Tower and Manhattan."
- I'm pretty sure Dad was the one that gave me all the facts of things we saw and that my sister gave me the tip about the penny :-) I'm gonna have to paraphrase the rest of this...
May 10, 1992
"Today we started the day at 8:30am. We went to the Washington Monument and all the way to the top. The elevator used to be steam powered and took 20mins to get there. Now that we have electricity it only takes 70 seconds. There are 897 stairs and it would take 1.5 hours to climb them. The tip is made of 100 ounces of aluminum. Then we went to the Lincoln Memorial, the Vietnam Memorial, The White House (no tour), and then the Capitol Building. There we saw the House of Representatives, the Senate, and the original Supreme Court. Then we went to an Armed Forces Day at Fort Belvoir."
May 11, 1992
"Today we started at 9:00am and we went to the "Mint" and I saw 5 million dollars. Then the Air and Space Museum. I saw the first plane Orville and Wilbur Wright invented. Then we went to the National Zoo and saw the only 2 pandas in the US. Then we went to the Mall and also to Ford's Theater and I saw where President Lincoln was shot."
May 12, 1992
"Today we started at 10:00am (sounds like we were getting tired). We went to Mount Vernon where the Washington Mansion is. I saw the exact bed that George Washington died in. I saw the whole mansion. After that, we went to his tomb. It is made of brick and has him and his wife in there, and there is a door behind them where 25 other family members are buried. General Washington had 314 slaves and treated them well. He owned 8,000 acres of land. The back porch of his yard has a great view of the Potomic. About 100 people could stay in his mansion and there were always visitors. Then we headed to Williamsburg, Virginia which was a 3 hour trip. We stayed in a Suite!"
Maybe it's not so cool to others but I love having this stuff. Thanks to my Mom and Dad for taking us to such great places! I hope I can do the same with my kids. And I hope they journal it so they have all these memories too. I didn't mention in the journal how a bird crapped on me at the National Zoo, but I did write another story about that and yes I have that too.
I think all in all, I'll be ok as a parent. I was confident back in 1992, that I would someday open my own daycare and that the kids under my supervision would have the best care. "I know what they need because I was a little kid before." If I knew it then, I should be fine now! :-)
Hope you enjoyed your history lesson for the day. Now I gotta get back to work!
Chow,
KK +1 :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment